Autism in Ocala: We wish to open an Autism center here in Ocala Florida. As previous board members of Ocala Autism Support Network, we were able to see first hand what families who have children on the Autism Spectrum needed and were missing. In an effort to be able to provide these services, therapies and assistive devices, KidGenius was born.
February • KidGenius teams up with the Autism Society of Greater Orlando to provide Autism
Awareness Training to Marion County and surrounding areas Law Enforcement Officers
January • KidGenius hosts Reeka Rocks Wellness “Non-Verbal Communication” workshop
February • KidGenius is chosen to be the benefactor of Jazz on The Green
• Ocala’s Mayor Kent Guinn presents KidGenius with a proclamation, proclaiming April 2nd
Autism Awareness Day and encourages residents and employees to wear blue to
encourage awareness and acceptance. KidGenius little superheroes present him with a
replica of the bat phone for answering our call to action
April • KidGenius takes Autism in our Hearts to new heights and features families who submit
their photos on a digital billboard for the entire month of April
• Ink for Autism moms night out provide mothers with children on the spectrum with over
$1500 in door prizes once again graciously hosted and sponsored by Tattookah
July • Flying Knights Karate classes begin; 6 scholarships provided
August • KidGenius is the administrative facilitator for Play Project scholarships providing several
families with a year worth of free sessions
September • 2nd Season of Flying Knights Karate Classes Kicks off. 8 scholarships provided
• Aqualad Program establishes a group class to encourage bonding and socializing while
teaching lifesaving water skills
• X-ceptional Youngsters Chess Classes begin
• Team up with Dr. Kristen Sohl of Thompson Center Medical Clinic at the MU School of Medicine to bring Echo Autism to Marion County
•2nd Annual Autism Summit featuring Keynote speakers Dr. Kristen Sohl and Dr. Temple Grandin
January • Delsa Darline discusses the importance of Autism Awareness live on WOCA Radio with
Ocala Magazines Kelli Hart and promotes upcoming awareness events
February • KidGenius Host the first Autism Summit for families in Marion County
• KidGenius, sponsored by Urban Counseling brings Dr. Solomon the creator of the Play
Project to Marion County for a 2 day intensive workshop to train and certify therapists in
this evidenced based form of therapy.
• Delsa Darline appears on air with Dr. Solomon on WOCA radio morning show with hosts
Larry and Robin
• The Ocala Autism Center is created under the guidance and support of Urban Counseling
April • KidGenius brings the nationwide effort of Ink 4 Autism to Ocala and hosts a Moms Night
Out sponsored and hosted by Tattookah
• Ink 4 Autism Moms Night Out event is featured on the front page of the Star Banner
• In an effort to promote awareness and unite the community KidGenius celebrates Autism
Awareness Day by pounding the pavement, going to various local businesses armed with
the facts about autism. Business owners participate in a social media promotion that
displays their new found fact on a white board for all to learn about, kicking off our
“Sidekick’ program, because every little super hero needs a sidekick!
• Autism in our Heart campaign kicks off to get the community involved with our awareness
campaign. Families send in pictures holding their hands in the shape of a heart to show
• Celebrities Berto Colon of Orange is the New Black and Nick Cannon amongst others,
participate in showing us that “autism is in their heart”
• KidGenius establishes through the Ocala Autism Center professionally mediated support
group for parents
May • KidGenius sponsors 10 Children to attend a special Autism Speaks sensory friendly
Tampa Rays baseball game
• KidGenius participates in Premier Pediatrics Community fairs with their very own Captain
June • KidGenius receives a grant to provide lifesaving swimming lessons for children on the
• KidGenius partners with Marion County Infant Self Rescue to provide lifesaving lessons
July • Delsa Darline is featured as one of Ocala Magazines 40 under 40 Outstanding Individuals
August • KidGenius moves into a 16 office building
September • KidGenius hosts its first fundraising event; Blingo!
November • KidGenius provides 5 of its families with professional family portraits due to the
courteous sponsorship from fellow non-profit “Help Portrait Ocala”
• KidGenius hosts a Central Florida Parent Center IEP workshop
• Founded October 2013
October • Co-Founder Delsa Darline interviewed by Fox Evening News Orlando, for her efforts in
Autism Awareness through Google Glass
• KidGenius participated in fundraising efforts of fellow Non-Profit Organization Marion
County Literacy Council, event “Kiss the Horse” coming in 4th place for the most funds
• Momazine Magazine interviews Co-Founders Delsa Darline and Angie Carlozzi for a
featured presentation about the organization
• Governor Rick Scott sends a letter to Delsa Darline commending her on her awareness
November • CBS WKMG Erik Von Ancken interviews Delsa Darline and feature her on their evening
KidGenius Inc. is a not for profit organization that believes every child is Genius. We strive to empower families, help their children of all ages reach their full potential. All special needs children should be given the opportunity to afford the benefits of alternative therapies and assistive technologies that are not covered by insurance.
Our organization is 100% volunteer run, with no overhead costs, all of our donations go right into services and sponsorships cover costs incurred.
Wendy J. Tickner Shawiak
November 5 at 1:22pm
"I just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed the summit last night. It was very informative and absolutely phenomenal that Temple Grandin was there. I was able to meet her, get a picture and some autographs. Such an inspiring person. When I saw the movie, all I could do is think "that's my Zachary". So grateful I got to listen to her and meet her. Thank you again for organizing such a wonderful event."
"Great group making great strides in the community!!"
April 16, 2015 ·
"LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! That is all I have to say about this wonderful organization! "
November 4 at 10:29pm
"Thank you for bringing Temple to little ole Central Florida ! I appreciate everything you're doing for our community. It was a wonderful evening! Wasn't it? "